16 September 2006

One Of The Stupidist Thing I've Ever Heard

Whichever Wunderkinden at NASA or the Russian Space Agency who thought it was a good idea to tell Ansari that she can't fly her native country's flag on the uniform that she paid for should be fired. Or at least sent to the NASA bureaucratic equivalence of Siberia. I think that "Reverend" Rick over at SFF put it best in an interview with Alan Boyle:

"It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard. We're missing a tremendous opportunity to deliver a message to the real Iranian people. She should wear the Iran flag on her suit, and our people should be proclaiming the fact that an Iranian woman, oppressed in her own country, can come here and make a fortune and spend it by pursuing her dream, enabled by an American company working with the Russians to fly her in space."


[Update: I had some additional commentary, but Rand called me out on what I said. I realized on rereading what I had originally written, that I had "turned on the vitriol hose" while thinking about too many annoying things simultaneously, and kinda lumped a lot of people with divergent views into one or two straman categories. I also realized that part of what I said was based on private conversations with people that I probably shouldn't have brought up in public. I apologize.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com